Sometimes, things go wrong. Sawzall happens, folks.
After a long winter's break, Bob's crew (working on the addition) returned in early April to reroute the ductwork from our microwave/hood. Fortunately, Ed was home. I called him that morning to let him know that Elliot had a fever and we needed to pick him up from day care. Ed said, "Bob's dad just accidentally cut through some wiring."
So I took care of the little guy and Ed spent his day repairing the wire between two sockets in our bedroom (above the kitchen). Then, later that night, Elliot and I were in the living room and I heard some yelling from the kitchen when Ed noticed that THERE IS A HOLE IN OUR MICROWAVE.
Long story short, Bob was super apologetic and his father later dropped by to apologize in person (and pay for the microwave). The model we have has been discontinued, but I found a new old stock one from an appliance store in Buffalo (via eBay) that will match our other appliances. A happy ending. :)