Monday, April 21, 2008

Myles Standish

All in all, this was a good day. I was feeling kind of sad about not getting to see Josh and Jen, who have moved to Philly. For the past several years, we've reconnected after a winter away from bike racing at this race. Imagine my surprise when I saw them both!! They were in town so Jen could catch up with some work at her old lab and they could spend Passover with Josh's parents. My field was quite small, but we all rode pretty hard. Cathy kept things exciting with a long solo breakaway. I was in the group that caught her. A woman named Lydia got away solo on the last climb, followed by Michelle H.. I didn't have the legs to follow either of them, so pulled through in the chase group until it was clear we weren't getting Michelle and settled in for the cat-and-mouse of the sprint. I managed to get the sprint and ended up with 3rd overall -- and made back my entry fee. Woohoo!


Now, I'm not complaining, but I do feel woefully out of shape despite this success and am worried about Palmer next week (my first team race). My two longest rides of the year are today (32 mi total) and Wells last week (my best Wells in recent memory - 40 mi total). Palmer is 60 miles and lots of fast women will be there, including my teammates of course. I'll try to stay positive.


In the meantime, I'm really struggling with my last paper for my policy class on national IDs. I should have a draft by now. But I don't. Argh.

1 comment:

Robert H said...

*high five*
Awesome job on the 3rd.
When the fast racer people drop me around town I just have to tell myself that I could beat them over a couple hundred miles or so. Maybe.