Another year, another SCY championship meet at Harvard. This year actually seemed tougher even though we didn't have Elliot with us (he was at our house with his Grammie). I think now that he probably kept me distracted last year so I didn't get nervous.
My swimming hasn't improved much since last year, which was a bit disappointing, but I know what I need to work on. I swam in 16 events again (including 4 relays) and set 4 PRs (100 back, 200 back, 100 IM, 50 breast).
Photo courtesy of my teammate TJ (I'm on the left):
I just have a few moments so some quick notes from the weekend:
- It felt super weird to drop off Elliot at day care last week Friday and then stop to buy coffee beans at Barismo on our way home while wearing matching track suits. Well, it was weird for me. Ed thought it was the best thing EVER.
- It's been a week since the meet ended and I still feel hungry constantly because my body still seems to think I'm competing even while typing emails at my desk at work.
- Exhaustion during the meet led to a dazed state in which I stared into space between events rather than reading all the magazines I brought. It also led to the extreme overuse of the word "awesome."
- I had several goggle issues at the start of my events. Let's hope I never have to do a 400 IM again with water-filled goggles. I was so blind that I couldn't see the flags or the wall, which led to wild zig-zagging during the backstroke and no flip turns.
- We saw some guys from Maine set all four men's 75+ relay records. Super cool!
- Our team, Minuteman Andover, was neck-and-neck with our rival team, Cambridge, for the whole meet. It came down to the very last relay. Our head coach, Rich, looked super nervous the whole time. We won!
Team photo taken by my teammate Jill's husband.
Photo taken by coach Rich at our celebratory dinner, where I inhaled someone else's chocolate cake while waiting for my entree. For some reason wearing just the matching jackets felt okay. :)